Welcome to momondays®!
Everyone involved in momondays® is amazed at how quickly the show continues to attract bigger and bigger audiences. By blending education and entertainment, and by providing a format with real people, real stories and real inspiration, momondays is giving people a much needed break from canned presentations, business networking and everything digital. momondays really seems to be filling a void not just for new and veteran speakers, but also for all kinds of people interested in real life lessons, motivation and inspiration.
For veteran speakers, momondays is a great opportunity to experiment in a way that no paid gig permits. For non-professional speakers who have a powerful story, momondays offers a unique platform and voice. For the audience and community who attend month after month, momondays is a special place of personal growth, positivity, entertainment and laughter.
In talking with other people who want to host a momondays in their areas, we have learned that the biggest reasons for getting involved as a licensed host are:
1. Securing a key leadership role in the many communities who would be involved in momondays, either as audience members or as speakers. These include professional speakers, the positive psychology movement, life coaches, trainers, consultants and other business professionals who see speaking as a key element in their marketing (even though we are strict about not allowing anyone to 'sell' from the stage).
2. Improving their own emceeing, performing and stage skills.
3. Being part of a fun, innovative, fun event that actually has the potential to spread joy, hope and optimism all over the world!!
What you need to be in order to have a strong momondays community and licensed event operation
We created a licensing structure for momondays because it’s affordable for both momondays and for you, the licensee; and, it provides some protection for the brand while giving you some degree of flexibility.
For example, you may choose to run momondays licensed events as a complete and exclusive business or as part of a separate business. This is just one of the many decisions you may make as you evaluate how a momondays license fits within your life, career and livelihood – and community.
But what I hope is obvious to you is that momondays is more than just a business opportunity; it’s an opportunity to support the growth and transformation of the individuals in the room, and it’s an opportunity to effect change in the world; to be a model of greater authenticity, tolerance and love; and in so doing, to shift the consciousness of our civilization and be an instrument of peace.
Because of our emphasis on doing good while doing well, some people call momondays a social enterprise. Others call momondays a movement. And still others call it a community. Whatever you call it, I hope you will see it as your favourite day of each month – because momondays truly is all that plus one thing more; it’s an opportunity to have fun.
From a standing start in February 2012 with one location and 18 people in the audience, to a network of locations across the country – some of which attract over 500 people each month – we have seen what it takes to build a strong momondays community and licensed operation.
We believe that you need 6 key attributes to succeed at this.
1. Emceeing skills with all the stagecraft, audience energy management and performance talent you need for that — this is not the same as keynote speaking or training, or emceeing at business conferences, but it can be learned if you are motivated.
2. Genuine desire to support other people's personal growth — momondays is 'transformation packaged as professional entertainment’.
3. Business skills. Many people say they are not in this for the money, but you have to be business-minded enough and serious to be successful.
4. Computer literacy. We use a lot of technology in order to be efficient — you have to be comfortable with that.
5. You are a natural promoter — you already have a good network (especially Facebook) of people in the community where you want to host momondays, a great personality, communication skills and the ability to create rapport with people, plus you know how to use social and traditional media to raise awareness.
6. High standards of professionalism in everything you do. momondays may have started as a grassroots movement, but it is anything BUT an amateur event. From your own performance as an emcee to the staging of the venue to the video product that comes out of momondays, your success depends on a high degree of professionalism.
As a momondays Licensed Host, you have the opportunity to earn revenue in a variety of ways directly from your momondays events, while you are a licensed momondays host in good standing. These currently include:
- Ticket sales
- Sponsorship and advertising in your printed show programme
- Commission on Digital Rights Packages sold within 90 days of the moShow
- The moSpeaker MasterClasses & Workshops
- A share of commissions on moBureau fees
- Referral fees on momondays licensees
Note that we are in the process of adding additional revenue streams. As they are implemented, they will be communicated, along with the associated business model, commissions, fees and/or charges, via the momondays website, licensee newsletter, the Facebook Group for moHosts and/or Operations Manual, as deemed appropriate by Licensor.
Fees currently relate to the licensing, account set-up and maintenance, and are described in the invoice or email issued to you as part of this agreement. It currently consists of:
- Annual Account/License fee (50% due on signing of this agreement; 50% due on the 15th of the month of your first show)
- Monthly ‘system access fee’ (to commence on the first of the month of your first momondays)
As part of the initial license fee and set-up, we produce a momondays sign for you, at no charge, customized with your city name. You are responsible for courier/delivery charges. Let us know where you would like the placement of the city name. You have three choices: 1. right-justified above the letters; 2, left-justified against the 'd' extender, above the letters; 3. right-justified against the tail of the y, below the letters. The sign is very light and can be easily carried around. It is 5 feet wide and about 1 foot tall. You are required to hang it on your backdrop behind the speakers, approximately at shoulder height or slightly higher. This signs adds both the branding of your momondays as well as the professionalism of the video and live show. More suggestions about using the sign are included in the Operations Manual.
As additional revenue streams are added, additional fees may be levied to cover the additional service and costs in providing those additional revenue streams. Again, these will be communicated to you via the momondays website, licensee newsletter, the Facebook Group for moHosts and/or Operations Manual, as deemed appropriate by Licensor.
Our commitment to you:
Running a momondays event is a shared responsibility. We do things such as:
- Establish the overall brand, website and infrastructure.
- Set up a momondays-Branded Email Address for you (eg: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Set up a momondays page for your community, from which you announce events and link to your online ticketing.
- Provide you with an Operations Manual and additional training. Please note that due to the nature of producing and hosting events, this training is as complete as is feasible but it cannot possibly cover everything.
- Give you full access to the momondays digital library, which has graphic templates, templated legal agreements to use with suppliers, template emails, checklists and other resources.
- Give you access to the private momondays Facebook group where you can network with other momondays Licensed Hosts and share best practices.
- Set up a Facebook group and/or page for your momondays community, and give you admin access so you can manage it on a day-to-day basis.
- Edit the videos and process the sales for each speaker who buys a Digital Rights Package (DRP).
Your commitment to momondays:
Broadly speaking, the momondays Licensed Host is responsible for producing, promoting and hosting the event in your local community.
The Licensee understands and hereby agrees that the Licensor may terminate the License granted herein forthwith if the Licensee fails to abide by, or contravenes, any of the commitments and requirements set out below. The minimum requirements for you to maintain your license in good standing are:
- Reading through the Operations Manual and learning best practices before launching your first show, and staying current of upgrades, new features and enhancements communicated via the momondays website, licensee newsletter, the Facebook Group for moHosts and/or Operations Manual.
- Participating fully in the online training, moHost group and conference calls. (Please note that you are responsible for any of your own long distance or Internet charges that you may incur.)
- Finding a suitable venue and holding your momondays event within 75 days of the signing of this agreement. The location of venue must be directly related to the location indicated by momondays-Branded Email Account. Note that the Licensee is soley responsible for the selection of the venue subject to the best practices outlined in the Operations Manual.
- Holding your momondays show on a Monday in a venue or room within a venue that is exclusively used for momondays, and promoting your momondays as exclusively a momondays event.
- Ensuring that other trademarks or logos are not visible behind the speaker or as part of the backdrop and where it is picked up on video.
- Promoting the event locally.
- Managing the ticketing using only the platform provided by the Licensor, and at-the-door ticketing.
- Selecting 5-7 speakers (plus optional entertainer such as a musician/performer) per event and deciding on the best order of speakers/performers, and ensuring that all speakers/performers sign the online agreement prior to their performance.
- Emceeing the event or having a qualified emcee for the event.
- Ensuring that all speakers, sponsors, yourself as the host or the emcee (if someone other than yourself), adhere to the no pitching/no selling/no teaching/no training rule.
- Not circumvent any of the commercial systems we have in place, such as ticketing and bureau services.
- Ensuring that no one takes photos or videos or recordings (including live streaming) of any kind of the speakers/performers other than your designated volunteers or paid team members, except as described in the Operations Manual under the topic, “The 'No Photography' announcement made fun and ‘social’‘ and for special promotional opportunities such as media coverage and interviews. In such instances, the media company may broadcast video or audio from your momondays show of up to a minute per speaker. Any longer segments will require a separate licensing agreement between the media company and momondays.
- Getting the speakers video'd and photographed and then providing us with the raw files as per the specifications and timelines outlined in the Photo/Video Guidelines document. Digital content should be of high quality and free of noise, watermarks and distortion. If you choose to post any momondays images in your social media platforms, they must be watermarked with the momondays logo (or momondays city logo) in a similar style and size as described in the 'photo/video guide' and include #momondays hashtag.
- Ensuring that all service providers, (such as photographer, videographers and DJ), have executed the Service Provider Agreement prior to your momondays show, and that Service Provider Agreements are kept up to date as new providers are employed.
- Maintaining at least one social media community for the exclusive purpose of growing your local momondays community and communicating with them about momondays, and ensuring that the momondays social media community does not become a bulletin board for non-momondays announcements and/or promotions.
- In general acting and making decisions that support all momondays licensees and the overall brand. (That includes, for example, using your momondays-Branded Email Address for all momondays-related communication.)
- Conducting your momondays as an independent contractor/business and being responsible for any local taxes and expenses.
- Having all payments and amounts owing to the Licensor fully up to date.
- Providing administrative reports such as the SpeakerNotes and EventStats within the timeframes listed in the Operations Manual.
- Maintaining honourable, honest and ethical business practices.
momondays® is a registered trademark of MNIP Holdings Inc. and is used under license by Concentric Strategies Inc. This agreement is between Concentric Strategies Inc. (Licensor) and yourself, (Licensee) either as an individual or a company as you indicate below.
Territory and Your Licensed momondays-Branded Email Address
As the Licensee, you will be issued a unique email address for the purpose of momondays-related activities. This email address will follow the syntax convention of email@example.com, (momondays-Branded Email Account), where ‘yourcommunity’ must accurately describe the specific geographic or community where you operate licensed Events.
The Licensee acknowledges and agrees that the rights and privileges granted under this Agreement are non-exclusive in every respect except that the Licensor shall not license any other person to use the same momondays-Branded Email Address. Use of your momondays-Branded Email Address is your most valuable asset in establishing and defining your momondays community.
As a general guideline, locations are spaced such that drive time during rush hour between them is at least 30 minutes. However, the granting of momondays-Branded Email Addresses is considered on a case-by-case basis upon the distinctiveness of the community, population density, geographical distance and regular driving time between venue locations operated by various licensees.
Use of Platform, Website and Technology
Licensees use a variety of platforms and technologies in order to operate their momondays licensed events. Some technologies may be developed by the Licensor and some may be provided by a thirty-party, as directed by the Licensor. From time to time any of these platforms, website or technologies may become unavailable or function incorrectly. This may be due to any reason, including without limitation defects under the Licensor’s control, or problems at one of the third-party service
providers that provide critical services for the Licensor, or with local Internet providers or catastrophic world events. In any event, the Licensor assumes no responsibility for service interruptions or defects. Certain elements of the platform, website or technologies may change from time to time without notice. Changes may include the addition of new features, improvements to the user interface, and others. Licensor will make the Licensee aware of any major new feature or improvement, as deemed appropriate by the Licensor, via the momondays website, licensee newsletter, the Facebook Group for moHosts and/or Operations Manual.
Non-Competition and Non-Disclosure
During your term as a momondays Licensed Host, and for one (1) year after the termination of this Agreement for any reason whatsoever, you shall not individually or in conjunction with any person, firm, partnership, corporation or other third party as principal, agent, shareholder, director, officer, employee, consultant or guarantor or in any other manner whatsoever, directly or indirectly, carry on or be engaged in or concerned with or interested in, financially or otherwise, or advise in the establishment or operation of any business anywhere within the region where the momondays you host as Provisional Host is located, (as defined by your momondays email address), which consists substantially of operating speaking, storytelling, spoken word or musical events consisting of motivational content.
You acknowledge that certain information relating to the operation of momondays including, without limitation, the standards, methods, procedures and specifications of licensed events, the Licensor’s computer software and website from time to time, and the entire contents of the Manual, is derived from information disclosed to you by the Licensor and that all such information is of a proprietary and confidential nature and is a trade secret of the Licensor.
You shall maintain the absolute confidentiality of all such information during the Term and after the termination or expiration of this Agreement for any reason whatsoever and shall not disclose any such information nor use such computer software, for any reason or in any manner whatsoever, disclosing the same to the Licensee’s employees only to the extent necessary for the operation of Licensed Events in accordance with this Agreement. You further agree not to use any such information, directly or indirectly, in any other business or in any other manner or obtain any benefit therefrom not specifically approved in writing by the Licensor. You shall require your employees and team members to whom such information is disclosed to comply with the provisions of this agreement and, upon request by the Licensor, you shall require such employees to execute confidentiality agreements in a form acceptable to Licensor.
On termination of this agreement or at the completion of your licensed term as a momondays Licensed Host, you will:
- Promptly transfer any momondays branded material such as signage, regardless of who produced them.
- Destroy/delete digital copies of the Operations Manual and return all printed copies to momondays.
- Cease to represent momondays in any way.
- Promptly assist in the smooth transition and transfer of any information, lists, accounts, social media communities and other momondays-related material to the Licensor or to the party as directed by the Licensor.
- Promptly assist in the smooth transition of the operation to a new Licensed Host if available. This includes giving the new Licensed Host first right of refusal to continue operating the licensed event in the existing location as per the schedule that is customary for that location.
NOTE: If you choose to stop producing/hosting momondays prior to the end of your licensed term, you must continue to pay the monthly system access fee until the end of the licensed term or until a replacement host has taken over with live events, whichever comes first. If you give less than 60 days’ notice prior to the end of your annual term, you must also pay the annual license fee plus the monthly system access fee as in the preceeding sentence. If you choose to produce/host an event deemed similar or competitive in nature to momondays within the non-compete period, you agree to pay licensor a minimum of $10,000 plus damages.
This Agreement which outlines the term, number of locations, momondays-Branded Email Address (firstname.lastname@example.org) and fees, constitute the entire agreement between the parties pertaining to the subject matter of this Agreement and supersede all prior agreements, understandings, negotiations and discussions with respect to the subject matter of this Agreement, whether oral or written. Except as provided in this Agreement, there are no conditions, representations, warranties, undertakings, promises, inducements or agreements whether direct, indirect, collateral, express or implied made by the Licensor to the Licensee. No supplement, modification, amendment, or waiver of this Agreement shall be binding unless executed in writing by both parties.
The laws of Ontario and Canada shall govern this agreement. The parties irrevocably attorn to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the Courts of Toronto, Ontario to adjudicate any dispute relating to the validity or enforcement of the Agreement. The parties agree that this agreement should be drafted in English. Les parties sont d’accord que ce contrat soit redige en anglais.
Severability of Provisions
Every part of this Agreement is severable and the invalidity or unenforceability of any part of this Agreement shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other part of this Agreement.
The failure of the Licensor to exercise any right, power or option given under this Agreement, or to insist upon the strict compliance with the terms and conditions of this Agreement by the Licensee shall not constitute a waiver of the terms and conditions of this Agreement with respect to any other or subsequent breach of this Agreement or default under this Agreement, nor a waiver by the Licensor of its right at any time thereafter to require strict compliance with all terms and conditions of this Agreement.
The Licensee acknowledges that the Licensee has conducted an independent investigation of the opportunity presented, and recognizes that the business venture contemplated by this Agreement involves business risks and that the Licensee’s success will be largely dependent upon the business ability of the Licensee. The Licensor expressly disclaims the making of and the Licensee acknowledges that the Licensee has not received any warranty, representation, undertaking, assurance or guarantee, express, implied or collateral, written or oral, as to the potential volume, profits or success of the Licensed Events.
The Licensee is and will at all times remain an independent contractor and is not and shall not represent himself/herself to be the agent, joint venturer, partner or employee of the Licensor, or to be related to the Licensor other than as the independent Licensee. No representations will be made or acts taken by the Licensee which could establish any apparent relationship of agency, joint venture, partnership or employment with the Licensor, and the Licensor shall not be bound in any manner whatsoever by any agreements, warranties, representations or undertakings made by the Licensee to any other person nor with respect to any other action of the Licensee. The Licensee shall not establish any bank account, make any purchase, apply for any loan or credit, or incur or permit any obligation to be incurred in the name or on the credit of the Licensor. No acts of assistance given by the Licensor to the Licensee shall be construed so as to alter this relationship.
The Licensor shall not be obligated or liable for any injury or death of any person or damage to any property caused by the Licensee’s action, failure to act, negligence or wilful conduct, nor for any liability of the Licensee.
The Licensee hereby indemnifies and undertakes to defend the Licensor and its affiliates, and its and their respective shareholders, directors, officers, employees and agents and hold them harmless from all suits, proceedings, assessments, losses, claims, demands or actions of any nature or kind whatsoever, directly or indirectly arising out of, or in any manner whatsoever associated or connected with:
the failure of the Licensee to pay when due any levies, taxes or assessments that the Licensee may be required by applicable law to pay; or
the Licensee’s operation of the Business conducting licensed events;
any injury or death of any person or damage to any property caused by the Licensee’s action, failure to act, negligence or wilful conduct;
and against any and all damages, costs, expenses and fees (including without limitation reasonable legal expenses and fees), losses, fines or penalties incurred by or on behalf of any of them in the investigation or defence of any and all Claims.
All obligations of the Licensor and the Licensee which expressly or by their nature survive termination or expiration or Transfer of this Agreement shall continue in full force and effect subsequent to and notwithstanding such termination or expiration or transfer and until they are satisfied or by their nature expire.
Grant of Trade-mark License
Licensor hereby grants to Licensee, until termination or expiration of this Agreement, a nonexclusive, nontransferable, nonassignable, nonsublicenseable license to use the Trade-marks in in connection with Licensed events, strictly subject to the terms of this Agreement.
The Licensee agrees and acknowledges that the right granted herein to the Licensee to use the Trade-marks applies only to their use in connection with Licensed events, and further agrees:
to operate and advertise the Licensed Business only under the Trade-marks and under no other name and use the Trade-marks only with accompanying words or symbols approved in writing by the Licensor;
to use or display the Trade-marks on all signs, forms, stationery, invoices, documents and other materials only in the manner and form prescribed by the Licensor in the Manual or otherwise in writing and as provided for in this Agreement and to affix in a prominent place at the Licensed events, and prominently wherever the Trade-marks are used, a notice in the form prescribed by the Licensor in the Manual or otherwise in writing specifying substantially similar to the following:
“The trade-marks are owned by MNIP Holdings Inc. and are used under license by the independent licensees.”
Licensor to Own all Intellectual Property Rights in all Licensed Events
The Licensee agrees that the Licensor shall own any and all intellectual property rights relating to each and every Licensed Event, including without limitation, copyright in all audio recordings, video recordings and photography of any Licensed Event (the “Recordings”). The Licensee hereby sells, transfers and assigns to the Licensor all of present and future right, title and interest in or to the Recordings including all copyright and other intellectual property rights, the same to be held and enjoyed by the Licensor during the remainder of the respective unexpired term thereof. The Licensee covenants and agrees to diligently do, or cause to be done, all acts or things and to execute all documents and instruments requested by the Licensor to evidence, implement and carry into effect of this to its full extent, including without limitation, ensuring that Speaker Agreements are executed by the relevant parties and delivered to the Licensor. In addition, the Licensee hereby waives any and all moral rights it may have in the Recordings.
Transfer of License
The Licensee acknowledges that the granting of the rights under this Agreement is based upon the Licensor’s investigation of the Licensee’s qualifications and that such rights are personal to the Licensee. Except as hereinafter provided, the Licensee shall not sell, divide, encumber, assign, hypothecate, mortgage, sub-license, transfer through bequest, inheritance, transfer in trust, by divorce or operation of law or any other means or, if the Licensee is a corporation, by any change of control resulting from any transfer of registered or beneficial ownership of any of its capital stock, or otherwise dispose of the rights granted under this Agreement, or any part thereof, or any rights or privileges incidental thereto, or the Licensed events or any interest therein, or the Licensee’s rights or interest in this Agreement (hereinafter collectively referred to as a “Transfer”) to any individual, firm, partnership, bank, lending institution, corporation or other third party without the prior written consent of the Licensor. Any actual, attempted or purported Transfer occurring without the Licensor’s prior written consent shall be a default of this Agreement and such actual, attempted or purported Transfer shall be null and void. In no event will the Licensor be willing to provide its consent to any Transfer, unless:
the proposed transferee is acceptable to the Licensor based upon standards for new licensees used by the Licensor at such time;
there shall be no existing default in the performance or observance of any of the Licensee’s obligations under this Agreement, any registered user agreement with respect to the Trade-marks, or any other agreement with the Licensor or any supplier of the Licensee;
the Licensee shall have settled and paid all outstanding accounts with the Licensor and its affiliates, all approved lenders, and all other trade creditors related to the operation of licensed events;
the Licensee shall have delivered to the Licensors a complete release of the Licensors, its shareholders, directors and officers from all obligations of any such persons under this Agreement in a form satisfactory to the Licensors;
a transfer fee is paid either by the Licensee or by the transferee equal to 25% of the initial account fee or 10% of the purchase price (including non-monetary payment at fair market value) paid by the transferee, whichever is greater.
the proposed transferee shall assume all rights and the obligations of the Licensee under this Agreement for a period equal to the then unexpired portion of the Term; and
all monetary obligations owed by the Licensee to the Licensor shall have been satisfied prior to such Transfer.
Grant and Term of this Agreement
By signing this Agreement and paying the license fee, you are granted the right, privilege and license to conduct momondays branded events for a term between the date of signing of this agreement plus one (1) year following your first momondays. Unless the annual set-up fee changes, or you do not comply with the requirements of licensing as set out in this agreement, or you notify us before 60 days prior to renewal (ie: the month in which you produce your first momondays) that you wish to cancel, it will be automatically renewed annually. These terms may change from time to time. Licensee will be notified of any changes to these terms via the momondays website, licensee newsletter, the Facebook Group for moHosts and/or Operations Manual, as deemed appropriate by Licensor.